Mathematica>eps>pdf problems with Epilog and PlotRegion

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17604] Mathematica>eps>pdf problems with Epilog and PlotRegion
  • From: king at dircon.co.uk (Nigel King)
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 02:14:41 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have noticed the following problems with exporting plots to eps and from
there to pdf format for inclusion in pdftex documents.

{$Version,$ReleaseNumber}
{"Power Macintosh 3.0 (May 6, 1997)",1}
I think this is the latest version the about Mathematica says 3.0.1.1x

1. If you use Prolog or Epilog to place some text outside the plot area
and within the axes area the text does not appear in the picture presented
by
either ghostview or distiller.

eg.
p=ListPlot[{{-1,0},{1,1}},PlotJoined->True,Epilog->Text["x",{0,-.05}]];

graph removed but shows the x in the "correct" position just below the axis

origin

Display["epitest.eps",p,"EPS"]

creates the eps file but the x is missing. Actually it is in the .eps file
but does not get displayed by Acrobat or ghostview.

Placing text in the graph area does get displayed by both Acrobat and
ghostview. Maybe I was not supposed to put anything outside the graph area
other than using the tick options but it seems inconvenient and has caused
me trouble trying to fault find this particular problem.

Using the Edit>Save Selection as...>EPS menu gives an entirely different
output file and distiller does not give a clipped picture for inclusion
into
a TeX document. The x is still missing however.

2. If you use PlotRegion to create a space around your plot the export to
EPS takes a turn for the worse. Using the notation in the Mathematica book
or help PlotRegion -> {{sxmin, sxmax}, {symin, symax}}. sxmin and symin
appear to have done the correct translation but sxmax and symax appear to
have gone in the wrong direction or no notice has been taken of them.

eg.
p=ListPlot[{{-1,0},{1,1}},PlotJoined->True,PlotRegion->{{.1,.9},{.1,.9}}];

graph removed but looks as intended in 2.9.4 of the book or help.

Display["regiontest.ps",p,"EPS"]

The picure has moved but the cropping box for the top and right is
incorrect.

If you use the Edit>Save Selection as...>EPS method then the graph is
positioned to enable Manual cropping in Acrobat 4.0 but this destroys the
whole progamability of generating pdftex documents.

3. The following command would be particularly useful

Display["pdftest.pdf",p,"PDF"]

but I get awful Font errors in the generated document also the default
ImageSize->Automatic doesn't seem to work. I guess it is in a lower state
of readiness.

I wonder what other views there might be about these problems.

Nigel King