Kernel Execute of Menu Commands

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17649] Kernel Execute of Menu Commands
  • From: "William B. Marks" <bmarks at helix.nih.gov>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 03:37:37 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

 Recently I lamented that Display["file", graphics, "PICT"] does not work
properly on the Mac (G3).  Markus van Almsick <m.van.almsick at cityweb.de>
suggested I try FrontEndExecute[FrontEndToken[nb, "CopySpecial[PICT]"]]  To
do this I set nb to current notebook: nb = SelectedNotebook[] and put a PS
image into a cell, followed by diferent versions of above suggestion, as
follows.

Show[<< "Pic.PS"];
FrontEndExecute[FrontEndToken[nb, "CopySpecial[PICT]"]]

with FrontEndToken set to various commands.  "ConvertTo" under Cell may
also be available.  I also tried to insert the command
ConvertToBitmapPacket, found using Names["System`*"] , in various forms.
This has not worked.  I don't know what to use for FrontEndToken, and/or am
omitting something else.   I don't even know whether ConvertToBitmapPacket
is a kernel or front end command or whether it accepts arguments.  How to
find the names the systems uses for menu commands?

It would be useful to see a working example of FrontEndExecute or
FrontEndTokenExecute applied to any menu command that might be bent to work
on graphics.

Any suggestions?  If this works the computer can run overnight making
compressed movie frames (compared with PostScript) that can be all be
incorporated together into Moover, for example, to give a QuickTime movie.

Thanks,
Bill Marks