Re: Problems running Mathematica 2.1 on Win95

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17631] Re: Problems running Mathematica 2.1 on Win95
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 03:37:28 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Roddy Rivas-Llosa M. wrote:

> a couple of weeks ago, I posted a message about having problems with
> Mathematica 2.2. That message was kindly answered, buy I must admit
> that I made a mistake with version number.
>
> I'm trying to run Mathematica 2.1 (not 2.2) under Windows 95 (the
> kernel produces a General Protection Fault while loading). Apparently,
> the differences between versions 2.1 and 2.2 is greater than I
> suspected, because the answer related to version 2.2 does not apply.
>
> Did anybody suffer the same problem with Mathematica 2.1?
> Thank you in advance.

Mathematica 2.1 for Windows is a rather old release, predating Windows 95
by several years.

With every operating system upgrade there is the chance that some degree
of compatibility with older applications will be lost.  The likelihood
that Mathematica 2.1 would run reliably under Windows 95 or 98 is not very
high.

As a result, Wolfram Research limits the extent of support to the current
and previous major releases of Mathematica.  Very soon, this will mean
only Mathematica 4 and 3.0 will be supported.

Ever since the release of Mathematica 3.0, the Windows notebook front end
has been based on the same source code as the Macintosh and X Window front
ends.  It is completely free of 16-bit legacy code.

You may wish to contact your reseller to check on pricing for an upgrade.
Contact information for the dealer in Peru can be found here.

	http://www.wolfram.com/intdealers/peru.html

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com