Re: MASH: Mathematica Scripting Hack

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17711] Re: MASH: Mathematica Scripting Hack
  • From: dreeves at flip.eecs.umich.edu (Daniel Reeves)
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 02:25:28 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> > I would like to propose that Wolfram developers address these issues by
> > providing a "-script" option to the kernel.
>
> I just don't see any need for this, do you?  Anyway, on the Mac, this
> can be easily done using Mathematica-link.lisp (by yours truly).  A
> simple modification allows a file consisting of a bunch of Mathematica
> expressions to be read into Macintosh Common Lisp and then each
> statement is printed to the Listener and executed thru AppleEvent.
> Redirecting output to something other than Listener shouldn't be that
> hard either.  Whatever the case, writing packages is the standard
> practice.  I don't see why this isn't your option.

You're probably right that my mash thing has no applicability to
Macintoshes.  But there are many uses for it with Unix (and perhaps
Windows).  For example, suppose you want to use Mathematica for
server-side computations on a web page.  Mash lets you do that just the
way you would with perl (or other languages).  It is also just sometimes
convenient to have a self-contained, executable mathematica script.
Granted, the math kernel still has to be available but the user of the
script shouldn't have to know or care.  So those are the things I
addressed with MASH.

As for packages, I'm all for them but what does that have to do with
executable mathematica scripts?

To those new to this thread, MASH is a simple mathlink program I wrote
(still very much a prototype) that, by being a "front-end" to the
kernel, acts like the perl interpreter but for mathematica code.
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~dreeves/misc/mash/

Thanks,
Daniel

Daniel Reeves               http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/dreeves/

"If at first you don't succeed -- try, try again.
Then quit.  No use being a damn fool about it."