Calculate derivatives recursively?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17722] Calculate derivatives recursively?
  • From: bcrain at gmu.edu (Ben Crain)
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 02:15:10 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Can't figure out how to get Mathematica to calculate derivatives of a
function recursively.   I have a general function of  2 variables:
f(k,y).  It's first derivative, in terms of y, is defined recursively
by:

d/dy f(k+2,y) = -4k* f(k+3,y) / f(4,y)  +  k(k+3)*f(k+2,y),  starting at
k=2.

Now I want to calculate higher derivatives, starting with the second and
going up to as high as 20 or so, using this recursion formula.  The
first few you could do by hand, but it soon gets unwieldly.  Consider
the second derivative:  I want Mathematica to differentiate the
right-hand side of the equation above, symbolically, getting an
expression involving first derivatives of f(k+3,y), etc.  And then
substitute, for each of those derivatives, its equivalent expression in
terms of f( ) alone, using the recursion above.  (So the first
derivative of f(k+3,y) would be -4(k+1)*f(k+4)/f(4,y) +
(k+1)(k+4)*f(k+3,y),  etc.)
And then on to higher derivatives.

Having gotten M. to differentiate the rhs, how can I get it to make the
required substitutions?

Thanks, Ben Crain
bcrain at gmu.edu