Re: SSH and Remote Kernels

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20868] Re: SSH and Remote Kernels
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 01:09:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 17 Nov 1999, Roger Jones wrote:

> Winrsh is used to connect remote kernels.  But as our network now has
> ssh installed how does one connect external kernals?  Is there a SSH
> utility for automatic remote Unix kernels connection from an NT
> machine?

To the best of my knowledge, it is impossible to automate this task, but
it is certainly possible to perform the setup manually.  I assume that you
are running the F-Secure SSH client for Windows.  In this application's
online help contents listing, there should be a section titled
"Forwardings".  Under this section, there will be a subsection titled
"Securing Arbitrarry TCP/IP Connections".  Read over this material and
make sure you have a _thorough_ understanding of it.

Now set up a forwarding between ports on the your NT and Unix machines.
Choose some unsigned 16-bit integer that is not so low as to conflict with
port numbers that are used by key system services (e.g. 21 for FTP, 80 for
HTTP).  Write these port numbers down as they will be used in the setup
with Mathematica.  Once you have autheticated yourself with a login on the
remote machine, the forwarding should be in place.  Keep this terminal
window open.

Now start up the front end and follow the directions for a manual setup as
demonstrated on

http://support.wolfram.com/FrontEnds/KernelSetup/Remote/ManualB.html

In step 6, you will need to add the following flag to the MLOpen
operation.

-LinkName "4949"

Where "4949" represents the port number that you set up for the client
side of the forwarding.

Once you have completed steps 1-9 on the FAQ page, perform the command
line version (second option) for establishing the link to the kernel.  You
can put the process in the background so that the shell remains available
for other operations.

The reason for the awkwardness of this procedure is that the SSH client
for F-Secure does not support the Unix command line arguments that can be
used to specify the forwarding (namely -L and -R).

This procedure was tested using the Win32 F-Secure SSH client for Windows
on a PC running Windows 95 OEM SR/2 and an SSH daemon running on an Intel
Linux 2.2.10 machine running sshd 1.2.27

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.