Symbols and Subscripts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20902] Symbols and Subscripts
  • From: Larry Offenberg <larryio at home.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 01:07:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I'm a relatively new user of Mathematica.  I'm somewhat surprised to
find out that entries such as xt (same as Subscript[x,t]) is not treated
as a symbol.  It many cases it would seem appropriate to treat this as
single symbol.  Is there a way to set the default settings to accomplish
this?  Is there a reason why I wouldn't want to do this? Thanks for your
help.

Larry O.