- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg20284] Tough Integral
- From: Ranko Bojanic <bojanic at math.ohio-state.edu>
- Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 02:19:56 -0400
- Organization: Ohio State University
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
In [mg20262] Tough Integral, Lawrence Walker wrote:
> Mathematica is able to calculate the following integral.
> For the life of me, I cannot solve this by hand. Does any
> know or has any ideas.
It is well known that for Re[s]>1
Integral of x^(s-1) / (Exp[x]-1)dx from 0 to Infinity = Gamma[s]
To do this by hand, write
1/(Exp[x]-1) = Exp[-x][1 + Exp[-x] + Exp[-2x]+.....]
and use integration by parts. Mathematica gives the same result.
Prev by Date:
Re: dummy index list
Next by Date:
Previous by thread:
Next by thread:
Re: Tough Integral