Q: Can I dynamically choose ButtonEvaluator?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20341] Q: Can I dynamically choose ButtonEvaluator?
  • From: Xing Jing Li <xingjing at calvin.math.vt.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 20:20:57 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I created some user interfaces by using Mathematica notebooks. Since the
users do not know how to use Mathematica so I have to hide all the
functionalities inside the buttons I created so they need only type in text
then click buttons. In order to let them be able to save information on
their local machine or on the server I must tell which ButtonEvaluator to
use. I found that only Remote Kernel let me save files on the server. I can
not do it by using "Local" kernel even I had the Chooser opened. Did I miss
something? Anyway I seemed not be able change the ButtonEvaluator once I
created the notebook unless I open "Show Expression" and change the
ButtonEvaluator to other kernel names. Is there a way to change the
ButtonEvaluator (e.g. set a variable "kernelName" and sign it AFTER the
notebook has been created.) I can sign "KernelName" BEFORE the notebook is
created then the notebook only work with that given kernel. How can I
change it? I am using version3.0 on Mac8.6.

Thanks in advance,

Jing