Re: Avoid out of memory in Simplify

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19552] Re: Avoid out of memory in Simplify
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 23:06:55 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

the best solution is to by new RAM.
The second best is to wrap your Simplify[] call
with MemoryConstrained[]

"MemoryConstrained[expr, b] evaluates expr, stopping if more than b
bytes of \
memory are requested. MemoryConstrained[expr, b, failexpr] returns
failexpr \
if the memory constraint is not met."

The third best is to do some work by hand.
a) replace some common terms by a single variable
   say you have a^2*b in several terms, the replacement
   b-> tmp1/a^2
   will save some memory in your expression
b) if you have a sum you can simplify the summands first
   Simplify /@ yourSum
   and simplify the (smaller) result again
c) do all the things you are doing then you work with
   paper and pencil

Hope that helps