Finding a relative prime

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19682] Finding a relative prime
  • From: Timur Tabi <nospam_timur at>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 02:19:50 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I'm using Mathematica 3.0 for the Mac, and I'm trying to figure out how
to get it to pick a random number that is relatively prime to another
number, p-1, where p is prime.  In other words, pick a random number k
such that 1) k is between 2 and p-1, and 2) k is relatively prime to p-1.
How can I do that in Mathematica 3.0?

Remove "nospam_" from my email address when replying
Timur "too sexy for my code" Tabi, timur at

Sent via