Re: W98 vs. Linux Platform

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg19674] Re: W98 vs. Linux Platform
  • From: "Robert F. Scheyder" <scheyder at>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 02:19:46 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I am crazy enough to run v.4.0 under both Linux (kernel 2.2x) and Win98.  I
don't know of any quantitative benchmarks, as least that I've ever
performed, but subjectively, running on the same processor speed of 166 MHz,
I see no real difference.  There is a significant difference in that Linux
has never crashed me when using Mathematica whereas with Win98 I must
restart at least once a day because of crashes...

On the flip side, whenever I play with the kernel on Linux, I must obtain a
new password from Wolfram; this is no problem.

Hope this helps.

Robert F. Scheyder
Department of Mathematics
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104
scheyder at

"Life is a Battlefield..."
    -with apologies to Pat Benatar
PR <PantaRhei at> wrote in message news:7r4vm0$9qd at
: Dear newsgroup readers:
: Does anybody have experience of running Mathematica 4.0 under W98 vs.
: running it under Linux? Particularly, is there a significant difference
: in benchmarks?
: Thanks,
: Marc
: sachon at