Re: typesetting piecewise function

> I use Mathematica 4 for a lot of my technical writing. One common
> problem I have is defining a piecewise function. In mathematical
> notation one commonly uses a large opening curly brace with all the
> cases listed to the right. In Mathematica I can try to do this but the
> curly brace does not scale to the full hight of the matrix of cases on
> the right. Here is an example

Use SpanMaxSize->Infinity.

You can do this as follows:

1. Select the relevant cell.
2. Start the option inspector (ctrl+shift+O in Windows, at least).
3. Walk down the tree: Formatting Options | Expression Formatting | Spanning
Character Options.
4. Then set SpanMaxSize --> Infinity (it's one of the options offered as
standard).

--
Dr Stephen P Luttrell
Room EX21, Defence Evaluation and Research Agency
luttrell at signal.dera.gov.uk
01684-894046 (phone), 01684-894384 (fax)
http://www.dera.gov.uk/cis5pip/Welcome.html