Remote shell with X-window emulator

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20022] Remote shell with X-window emulator
  • From: mdj at physics.ucf.edu (Michael Johnson)
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 02:40:47 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'd like to run Mathematica on a departmental server, popping the
window up on a desktop PC running an X-terminal emulator (Hummingbird's
Exceed).  This works except Mathematica can't find the needed fonts
(which are on the server but not on the PC).  Can anyone suggest how to
proceed?  I know essentially nothing about Exceed, but understand ordinary
X setups.

We'd considering switching from our old X-terminals to PC's, and
experimenting with this option. I'd like to be able to do this with
twenty or so PC's, so we can share our several licenses on the server
while staying at our desks.

Thanks for any help.

--

Michael Johnson