Preventing plotting on output

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20090] Preventing plotting on output
  • From: adam.smith at hillsdale.edu
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 02:43:06 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I know I could find the answer to this if I looked hard enough through
the Help and/or Manual, but I am certain one of the experts out there
will have the solution immediately.

I want to construct some plots and then display them combined on one
graph.  The Plot[] for each individual plot is fairly lengthy and I was
hoping to save some space by replacing the "DisplayFunction->Identity"
with a single word like "nodisp".  In the final Show[] I would then
turn the display back on with the
usual "DisplayFunction>$DisplayFunction" (maybe even equate it with a
single term like "disp").

Here is a simplified example of what I quickly tried without success

nodisp = DisplayFunction -> Identity

graph1 = Plot[Sin[2 Pi x],{x,0,2},nodisp]     Error messages show up
graph2 = Plot[Sin[4 Pi x],{x,0,2},nodisp]

Show[{plot1,plot2},DisplayFunction -> $DisplayFunction]

I realize I could use SetOptions[] to temporarily turn off and turn on
display, but defining nodisp seems more natural and intuitive to me.

Adam Smith

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.