Solid geometry matching problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22876] Solid geometry matching problem
  • From: "Jim Fanning" <j-squaredllc at worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 15:33:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I need help and/or suggestions to solve a solid geometry matching problem.

I have a cylinder with known reference points on it's surface.  The
reference points are easily described in cylindrical coordinates as a group
of points: Known{point name,radius, theta, z} and are known very accurately.
The cylinder is positioned somewhere in 3D space and the reference points
are surveyed (with measurement errors) in a world Cartesian coordinate
system: Measured{point name, X, Y, Z}.

I want to solve for the position and orientation of the cylinder in the
world system in terms of the cylinder's translation (X,Y,Z) and rotation
(pitch,yaw,roll) by some type of least squares  best fit? or linear
regression? of the Known and Measured reference points.

I would greatly appreciate any help in setting this up or references to
similar solutions.

Thank you,
Jim Fanning
j-squaredllc at worldnet.att.net