  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg23045] join/problem
  • From: "David Braunholtz" <D.A.BRAUNHOLTZ at>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 02:43:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I would like to join the mathgroup list, please. The list was kind
enough to solve a problem I had recently.

I also have another urgent, and probably trivial (once you know how)

I have an equation

I find the solution xm=x->g[y] which maximises f[x,y] for any y

I now want to define this 'maximised' function of y only fy[y]

I've tried:

but this doesn't seem to recognise that I want the y s from xm to
'match' the y_ on the LHS.

I'm also unclear as to whether I want  :=  or  =  in the above line.

Thanks in anticipation

David Braunholtz
Department of Public Health & Epidemiology
Public Health Building
University of Birmingham
Birmingham B15 2TT
E-Mail:  D.A.Braunholtz at