Re: Piecewise functions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg23145] Re: [mg23119] Piecewise functions
  • From: Jack Goldberg <jackgold at>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 03:21:05 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

The "best" solution is to construct piecewise functions
using UnitStep[].  I well-known device for doing this
is to observe that

gives zero for x<a and x>b  and give f[x] in a<x<b. If you are
using the Integrate function, then the definition of UnitStep[x]
at x = 0 is irrelevent so you need not worry about what happens
at x=a or x=b.