Gaussian fit

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg23148] Gaussian fit
  • From: "Gordon Smith" <slipstk at>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 03:21:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I am trying to determine the best Gaussian fit to a series of data

A more detailed histogram of this looks like

I've tried using NonLinearFit, but I can't get the parameters to make
sense.  There is also the possibility that this may be indicative of two
processes superimposed upon each other, in which case, the fit would be
two Gaussian distributions added together.  I've also looked through the
Archives, but there doesn't seem to be much on this that is directly
useful.  Either that, or the solution is so simple that I'm just not
seeing it.

Unfortunately, I don't have the capacity to formally join the MailList,
but I was hoping that I might still be able to get a nudge in the right

Thanks for your help.

Gordon P. Smith
Journeyman Physicist
University of Mississippi