RE: output from a package

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23193] RE: [mg23168] output from a package
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 01:12:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steven,

If you define a new variable within a package, say x, it will have the name
PackageName`Private`x. I think what you are looking for is Global`x, which
will simply display as x. You can obtain this by simply using the name
Global`x instead of x, or defining a variable in your Module heading as x =
Global`x.

Another place where this problem occurs is when you define and debug a
procedure in a notebook that contains default parameters. For example:
foo[a_,b_, var_:x]:=... When you move this to a package, it will not work as
expected because var will be PackageName`Private`x. Instead, write the
definition as foo[a_,b_,var_:Global`x].

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/