Re: DSolve, it should be beautiful...
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg23303] Re: DSolve, it should be beautiful...
- From: "Bill Bertram" <wkb at ansto.gov.au>
- Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 21:13:54 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Nicola Attico wrote in message <8eg7s6$hgc at smc.vnet.net>... >It seems to me that Mathematica DSolve is not able >to find the solution of the very standard Legendre equation... > >DSolve[(1-z^2) f''[z]-2 z f'[z]+(a(a+1)-(m^2/(1-z^2)))f[z]==0,f[z],z] > >How is it possible? > >Nicola Attico. Which version of Mathematica are you using? Version 4 certainly does solve it! Cheers, Bill