What happened to MonomialList?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24769] What happened to MonomialList?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 00:31:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Recently, I have been doing quite a lot of computations using GroebnerBasis.
The last time I used it so extensively was with version 3, and I have been
having a strange feeling that things used to be easier then. Particularly I
was not very happy that I have had to program a number of basic functions
myself from scratch, e.g. a LeadingTerm (with respect to a given
MonomialOrder) function. Then I looked at my old notebooks and realized
something really strange. The MonomialList function has disappeared and
nothing seems to have been provided in its place. What is more weird is that
MonomialList still appears in the Documentation for GroebnerBasis:

MonomialList[ poly, {x1, ..., xn}] gives a list of the monomials in poly in
the order used by  GroebnerBasis. MonomialList takes the same options as
GroebnerBasis.

But unlike Mathematica 3.0, 4.0 knowsn nothing about MonomialList:

In[1]:=
?MonomialList
Information::"notfound": "Symbol \!\(\"MonomialList\"\) not found."

Any explanation?

--
Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University, JAPAN

For Mathematica related links and resources try:
<http://www.sstreams.com/Mathematica/>