Re: make matrix animate

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg24921] Re: make matrix animate
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 01:35:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at
On 19 Aug 2000, Borut L. wrote:

> I made a function that has many matrices as output. It's in fact puzzle 15
> board, where in sequent matrices zero (blank space) moves
> left/right/up/down. Is there a way to make a graphical animation (like
> Do[Plot[...) with my output?

Here is a possible approach for your problem, if your matrices contain
character data.

matrixPicture[mat_?MatrixQ, opts___?OptionQ] :=
  Graphics[Text[DisplayForm[MakeBoxes[MatrixForm[mat]]], {0, 0}],
    TextStyle -> {opts}]

This example generates several matrices as a sequence of graphics, which
may be animated just like any other group of Graphics style cells.

  Table[matrixPicture[{{i, i^2}, {i^3, i^4}}, FontSize -> 36], {i, 7}]]

If you are dealing with a matrix of colors, you are better off using the
Raster[] or RasterArray[] primitives.  See the Cellular Automata notebook
in the online demos to see one could write some visualization functions
for this purpose.

    "Cellular Automata"

P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.