How to implement arg min f(x)?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg24936] How to implement arg min f(x)?
- From: Mike Yukish <may106 at psu.edu>
- Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:22:44 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Penn State University, Center for Academic Computing
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi, I want to implement arg min f(x), but when I use the FindMinimum function it returns the minimum and it returns the argument for the minimum in the form "x -> 1.234", i.e. a string. I am using the minimization in a manner analogous to solving Ax=b for x by finding arg min ||Ax-b|| x How do I pick off the value of x? To further complicate things, I am using the Excel/Mathematica link package, and I want the value of x for use in Excel. Thoughts?