How to implement arg min f(x)?

Hi,

I want to implement arg min f(x), but when I use the FindMinimum
function it returns the minimum and it returns the argument for the
minimum in the form "x -> 1.234", i.e. a string.  I am using the
minimization in a manner analogous to solving Ax=b for x by finding

arg min  ||Ax-b||

How do I pick off the value of x?

To further complicate things, I am using the Excel/Mathematica link
package, and I want the value of x for use in Excel.

Thoughts?