Easy way to simplify expr to a+bi?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg26245] Easy way to simplify expr to a+bi?
- From: crcarle at sandia.gov
- Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 02:16:27 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: Sandia National Laboratories
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi: I often encounter complex expressions such as: Z = 1/( 1/R1 + 1/( R2 + I w L ) + I w C ) which I want to simplify to the form of Z = a + b I so I can answer various questions about the behavior of either a or b . I can do this by hand of course, tediously adding the fractions, inverting, multiplying by the complex conjugate on top and bottom, then simplifying a long list of terms until I get there. It would be nice if I could do the equivalent of Re[Z] and Im[Z] and have Mathematica do the work for me, but that is not the result of those functions. Any ideas? Thanks. -- _______________________ Christopher R. Carlen Sr. Laser/Optical Tech. Sandia National Labs