Best fit surface

Hello all,
If I have a set of points (xi,yi} where i=1 to n
and I want to find a best fit curve (say mth order polynomial) that
describes these data points, I could use the following commands.
data = {{x1,y1},{x2,y2},...,{xn,yn}}
Fit[data,{1,x,x^2,...,x^m},s]]

Now I have a set of 3D points {xi,yi,zi} and I want to plot the surface
describe by these points and to find the equation that describe this
surface.  Is there a similar way to do what I have described above for 2D?

Thanks in advance,
John Lai