RE: Second Opinion

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26378] RE: [mg26373] Second Opinion
  • From: "Todd Stevenson" <todds at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 02:40:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The Standard Add-on Package contains the Poisson Distribution of the form

<<Statistics`DiscreteDistributions`
P(X=x) = (Exp[-n]*n^x)/Factorial[x]

which is different than the one you are using.  Yours seems to be 1 minus
the CDF of the Poisson:

1 - CDF[PoissonDistribution[n],N-1]

I don't know whether that is the problem or not, but you should be able to
combine the functions in this standard add-on with Plot[] to get a feel for
what's going on.

Todd Stevenson
Wolfram Research