Re: physical colors and Mathematica colors

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26406] Re: [mg26392] physical colors and Mathematica colors
  • From: Ben Jacobson <bjacobson at illumitech.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:21:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello Preston,

If you just need to display the approximate color in Mathematica, the
function Hue[] will get you most of the way there.  See the help
documentation and "Section 2.9.17 Advanced Topic: Color Output" in The
Mathematica Book.

If you need the actual equations, life will be more complicated.  You
should be able to calculate the CIE illuminants X, Y, and Z as integrals
over the spectrum, and then convert them to various RGB or other values.
Check out the excellent reference at
http://vera.inforamp.net/~poynton/notes/colour_and_gamma/ColorFAQ.html

Ben Jacobson
Illumitech Inc.