RE: Rotation of 2D graphics

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg26439] RE: [mg26432] Rotation of 2D graphics
  • From: PNichols at
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:51:40 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Rotating the axes, labels and everything?

The short answer, which may be all you need, is FullGraphics:

"FullGraphics[g] takes a graphics object, and generates a new one in which
objects specified by graphics options are given as explicit lists of
graphics primitives."

A longer answer:

"TransformGraphics[graphics, f] applies the function f to all lists of
coordinates in graphics."

generalrotation[point_, radians_, rotationcenter_]:=

ShowRotation[graphics_Graphics, radians_, rotationcenter_]:=
      generalrotation[#, radians, rotationcenter] &
    AspectRatio -> Automatic]

sineplot = Plot[{Sin[6x], Sin[4x]}, {x, 0, 2},
    PlotStyle -> {{}, Hue[0]},
    PlotLabel -> "Two Frequencies"]

ShowRotation[sineplot, 25 Degree, {0,1}]

Is that what you want to do?  (If so, I'd be interested to know about your
broader purpose for this.)

Note:  FullGraphics turns tick labels (and PlotLabel settings, etc.) into
explicit Text primitives:  rotating the position of a Text primitive is
straightforward, rotating the actual text characters is much more work, and
may not be possible without building a new front end.

Preston Nichols
Visiting Assistant Professor of Mathematics
Cornell College