Re: Eigenvectors

Birgit:

It could be that the matrix you have has an eigenvalue c of multipicity
greater than 1 and the corresponding eigenspace (nullspace of matrix - c
IdentityMatrix) has dimension less than this multiplicity.  The simplest
example would be the two by two matrix {{a,1},{0,a}}, which has a double
e'value of a and only a one dimensional eigenspace spanned by {1,0}.

Ken Levasseur
Math Sciences
UMass Lowell