Re: Eigenvectors

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21918] Re: [mg21896] Eigenvectors
  • From: Ken Levasseur <Kenneth_Levasseur at uml.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 02:54:46 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Birgit:

It could be that the matrix you have has an eigenvalue c of multipicity
greater than 1 and the corresponding eigenspace (nullspace of matrix - c
IdentityMatrix) has dimension less than this multiplicity.  The simplest
example would be the two by two matrix {{a,1},{0,a}}, which has a double
e'value of a and only a one dimensional eigenspace spanned by {1,0}.

Ken Levasseur
Math Sciences
UMass Lowell