Re: Set in Scan

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg21904] Re: Set in Scan
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 02:54:37 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

v1 = {0, 0, 0, 0};
v2 = {1, 1, 1, 1};
v3 = {2, 2, 2, 2};

Scan[Function[v, v[[3]] = newElement, {HoldFirst}], Hold[{v1, v2, v3}],

will work.
The point is that Scan[] will evaluate it's second argument and than
you can't set the symbol ist lost. That's why you have to use
To Scan the arguments of Hold[] you must set the level in Scan[]
For your pure function you must also prevent the evaluation with
an explicit attribute.

Hope that helps