Re: image 2-d Fouriertransform ?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg21922] Re: image 2-d Fouriertransform ?
  • From: "Mariusz Jankowski" <mjkcc at>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 02:54:49 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Maurus, a real signal cannot be uniquely represented by 1 quarter of the 2D
discrete Fourier transform (DFT) coefficients. I will use the following
non-symmetric 4 by 4 array:

(* I use InverseFourier as my definition of the DFT, as is common in
engineering, signal processing *)

The coefficients have complex conjugate symmetry - they are all related, not

For a short explanation on the ordering of the coefficients in 1D (think of
a single row or column of your 2D transform) see MathGroup archives from
approx 2 weeks ago.

Also take a look at my notebooks on Fourier series and transform in
Wolfram's courseware catalog I will
be adding a comprehensive set of notebooks on digital image processing to
the courseware catalog in the next couple of month - they may be helpful, if
you can wait that long.

Hope this helps,

Mariusz Jankowski
University of Southern Maine