Re: MathLink MLGetRealArray

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21971] Re: MathLink MLGetRealArray
  • From: Eckhard Hennig <hennig at itwm.uni-kl.de>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 13:02:25 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Johannes Ludsteck schrieb in Nachricht <87iph4$3vb at smc.vnet.net>...
>Dear Group Members,
>I am trying to get a matrix from Mathematica into a c program via
>MathLink. When I compile the code below (with Borland C++ 5.0), I
>get an Warning message Suspicious pointer conversion in line...,
>which relates to depthx. However, the variable depthx works fine.
>
>The problem is with the array x. If I try to access the elements in x,
>for example
>temp = x[0][0]; temp = temp * temp;
>
>then the program crashes.
[...]
>void kerndens(void)
>{
>   double **x, temp;
>   long *dimsx, depthx;
>   char **headsx;
>
>   MLGetRealArray(stdlink, &x, &dimsx, &headsx, &depthx);
>
>   MLPutReal(stdlink, x[0][0]);
>
>   MLDisownRealArray(stdlink, x, dimsx, headsx, depthx);
>}

Johannes,

at a first glance, it seems that the array x is declared incorrectly: The
pointer should be declared as

  double *x;  // Not: **x

What you get from a MathLink connection is a *linear* array of numbers and
not a two-dimensional one. Therefore, the C code needed to access the array
element x[i, j] is given by

  xij = x[i*n + j]

where n = dimsx[1] is the column dimension. Please try if the following
modifications of your code help to solve your problem (I haven't tested
them, but the code should work).

void kerndens(void)
{
   double *x, temp;
   long *dimsx, depthx;
   char **headsx;
   int i, j, n;

   MLGetRealArray(stdlink, &x, &dimsx, &headsx, &depthx);
   n = dimsx[1];
   i = 0;
   j = 0;
   MLPutReal(stdlink, x[i*n + j]);
   MLDisownRealArray(stdlink, x, dimsx, headsx, depthx);
}

Best regards,

  Eckhard

Dipl.-Ing. Eckhard Hennig      mailto:hennig at itwm.uni-kl.de
Institut fuer Techno- und Wirtschaftsmathematik e.V. (ITWM)
Erwin-Schroedinger-Strasse,  67663 Kaiserslautern,  Germany
  Voice: +49-(0)631-205-3126    Fax: +49-(0)631-205-4139
    http://www.itwm.uni-kl.de/as/employees/hennig.html

     ITWM - Makers of Analog Insydes for Mathematica
        http://www.itwm.uni-kl.de/as/products/ai