Re: Dealing with irregular shaped arrays

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22063] Re: Dealing with irregular shaped arrays
  • From: "Mariusz Jankowski" <mjkcc at usm.maine.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 02:38:49 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Steve, First a comment: upgrade to version 4 since its functionality for
reading data and manipulating arrays is much improved. However, in version
3, the following will work.

In[2]:=
strm = OpenRead["d:\\temp\\test.txt"]

Out[2]=
InputStream["d:\\mjkcc\\temp\\test.txt", 5]

In[4]:=
data = ReadList[strm, Number, RecordLists -> True]

Out[4]=
{{1, 3, 5}, {2, 2, 1, 3, 7}, {3, 9}, {4, 7, 9, 2},
  {5, 2, 1}}

Define a padding function. Version 4 has a built-in function.

In[5]:=
pad[x_, L_] := Join[x, Table["na", {L - Length[x]}]]

Find the length of the longest record

In[6]:=
Max[Length /@ data]

Out[6]=
5

Pad each record and transpose

In[9]:=
arr=Transpose[(pad[#1, %] & ) /@ data]

Out[9]=
{{1, 2, 3, 4, 5}, {3, 2, 9, 7, 2}, {5, 1, "na", 9, 1},
  {"na", 3, "na", 2, "na"}, {"na", 7, "na", "na", "na"}}

At this point you are done.

A1=arr[[1]];
A2=arr[[2]]; etc

Good luck,