Simplifying a simple expression in Mathematica 3.0.x
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg22133] Simplifying a simple expression in Mathematica 3.0.x
- From: bt585 at freenet.carleton.ca (Michael Chang)
- Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 02:34:51 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: The National Capital FreeNet
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi everyone, I have a rather bothersome question regarding Mathematica 3.0.x under Windoze NT. Suppose I have an expression given by: In: test=((a+b*c)^d)/((a^2+a*b*c)^e) I'd like variables a, b, c, d, e to be all real, and so I enter: In: a /: Im[a]=0; b /: Im[b]=0; c /: Im[c]=0; d /: Im[d]=0; e /: Im[e]=0; If I also know that a>0, (a+b*c)>0, is there a 'simple' way to get Mathematica (3.0.x) to simplify the expression 'test' to ((a+b*c)^(d-e))/(a^e) Or is this something that is only possible in Mathematica 4.0.x? Thanks, Mike!