Re: Contour curves & sections onto a surface

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22192] Re: Contour curves & sections onto a surface
  • From: David Annetts <dannetts at laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 01:24:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Murray

> Want to plot a surface, graph of f[x, y], and then, on the surface,
> draw:
>
>   (1) at the actual z-height, the contour curve for that height; and/or
>
>   (2) at the actual value x = x0, draw on the curve the section
> ("slice") of the curve f[x0, y] (and similarly for fixing y = y0).
>
> I know how to do all that, I think.  But I want the result to look just
> right.  To do that, the curves have to be a different color, or possibly
> thicker, but -- most important -- be displaced a bit from the actual
> surface so as to be distinctly visible.
>
> Somewhere -- in this newsgroup, on the Wolfram web site, in a
> Mathematica book, or in one of journals (Mathematica in Research and
> Education, The Mathematica Journal) -- I once saw a very cleanly done
> implementation that produces very nice results.
>
> Can anyone supply a pointer to that?

Apparently, it's listed in Wickham-Jones' book.  However, the technique's
repeated in Ruskeepaa's book.

 David Annetts                                       _____________
 http://www.ocs.mq.edu.au/~dannetts/                |C R C A M E T|
 CRC for Australian Mineral                         |````` \      |
 Exploration Technologies                           |`````/$\     |
 Earth & Planetary Sciences                         |````/$$$\____|
 Macquarie University, NSW 2109                     |```/$$$/.....|
 AUSTRALIA                                          |``/$$$/......|
 phone: +(1-61-2) 9850 9280, fax (1-61-2) 9850 8366  -------------