Re: Contour curves & sections onto a surface

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg22229] Re: Contour curves & sections onto a surface
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 02:35:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Quite by accident, after posting the query, I found an example of
drawing level curves ("lifted contours") on the graph of a surface:

  Stan Wagon, Mathematica in Action, 2 ed., Springer-TELOS, 1999, sec.

But there's nothing there about putting constant-x or constant-y slices
onto the surface.  That will evidently take some work, since what Wagon
does directly uses ContourPlot, and there's nothing comparable for other

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> Want to plot a surface, graph of f[x, y], and then, on the surface,
> draw:
>   (1) at the actual z-height, the contour curve for that height; and/or
>   (2) at the actual value x = x0, draw on the curve the section
> ("slice") of the curve f[x0, y] (and similarly for fixing y = y0).

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.       phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Univ. of Massachusetts                     413 545-2859 (W)
Amherst, MA 01003-4515