Saving as HTML -- Page width problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22265] Saving as HTML -- Page width problems
  • From: Chris Tiee <choni at my-deja.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 23:50:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I'm trying to save a notebook as HTML, and I'm finding that the
converter seems to think that pages should be no wider than 3 inches.
This happens in both Windows 98 and Mac versions. I can get plain text
to fill the whole length of the web browser window, but any expressions
are wrapped at about 3 inches, for small things it's fine, but for
larger things, the expression degenerates into a complete mess of lots
of nested parentheses and slashes.

However, the uglier bug is that any graphics (things that can't be
subject to wrapping) simply get cut off.

I know that everything in my notebook fits on standard letter-size
paper; I've printed it out and it looks fine. Even though I'm working
in 1280x1024 resolution, I'm pretty sure this notebook would fit in a
web browser window at 640x480.

I've done my reading have searched all over the Wolfram website, and it
doesn't seem to have any information regarding this bug. Additionally,
I have searched deja.com for previous postings. Most of the messages I
found dealt with some unrelated problem, implying that they've gotten
over this very basic problem. The few postings I did find dealing with
this page-width problem didn't have any satisfactory solution to the
problem. I tried the suggestion of changing the Formatting Options
preference to forget about wrapping within expressions. Instead of
wrapping messily, they get cut off, just like all the other graphics.
I've set the PageWidth option to infinity. I tried saving using HTMLSave
[].

My HTML notebook continues to look like it could fit on a sales
receipt. Total Ralphs Club savings: 5 inches. Yay.

If you decide to reply by email, send to choni at ucla.edu.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Chris Tiee "Choni" | Primary email: choni at ucla.edu