Re: Re: export graphics

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg22263] Re: [mg22260] Re: [mg22202] export graphics
  • From: schadow at
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 23:50:53 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

> Wolfgang, and all:
> When we upgraded to version 4 at my institution, I threw together a web
> page (mostly for the benefit of my colleagues here) describing the simplest
> new ways to export graphics.  You can find it here:
> The simple animated gif example on that page comes down to this:
> sinemovie = Table[
>     Plot[Sin[x - t], {x, 0, 2*Pi}],
>     {t, Pi/10, 2*Pi, Pi/10}];
> Export["sineloop.gif", sinemovie,
>     ConversionOptions -> {"Loop" -> True}];
> You could wrap Block[{$DisplayFunction=Identity},     ] around the Table
> command if you don't want to see the frames before exporting them.
> Part of the reason your attempt (below) went wrong is (perhaps obviously?)
> that Animate returns Null, not Graphics objects.  For the same reason, I
> had to use Table rather than Do in my example above.
> (In the code for Graphics`Animation`, one can see that the last action
> performed by Animate is to explicitly call the low-level function,
> analogous to $DisplayFunction, which displays the frames of the animation,
> by default in the Notebook window.)

Thanks for pointing out your page, it was very helpful to how it's done.
BUT I still get *black* GIFs and JPG's, only EPS works. One way to get
at least a non black curve is:

anim1 = Plot[Exp[-(x - 1/3)^2], {x, 0, 10}, PlotRange -> {0, 1},
    PlotStyle -> {Blue}, Background -> GrayLevel[1]]
Export["anim1.gif", anim1, "GIF"]

This produces a blue curve on black background. This is of course not
satisfactory and fails with PLOT3D.

I am wondering if this is a Linux specific problem, since you work with
Windows. Is this a known problem or specific to my installation?

Wolfgang Schadow             Phone: +1-604-222-1047 ext. 6453 (office)
TRIUMF                              +1-604-875-6066           (home)
Theory Group                   FAX: +1-604-222-1074
4004 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 2A3      email: schadow at
Canada                       www  :