Weird Plot behavior...

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg22268] Weird Plot behavior...
  • From: dougmckee at
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:00:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I'm getting some strange, seemingly incorrect
graphs from Mathematica 3:

First I define a simple piecewise continuous

sf[x_]:=If[x<(1/3),1-3 x,0.5 x - 1/6]

Then I graph its 4th iterate on [0,1] (along with

It's missing some information; in particular, the
graph only shows 5 fixed points when I know there
are 7.  And when I graph it on [0,2], I _do_ get
all 7 fixed points, and, yes, they're all on

What's going on?  Why is the first graph
incorrect, and the second correct?

And here, even though I think I'm setting the
PlotDivision _lower_ than the default (20), I get
the right graph!

Sent via
Before you buy.