Re: Notional NotebookOpen Nonplus?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg22305] Re: Notional NotebookOpen Nonplus?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 03:01:20 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

The ">>" command does not write output in the special form that
constitutes a notebook expression; rather, it simply writes to a text
file -- no matter what extension (such as your .nb) that you give to the

To write expressions to what will be understood by the Mathematica front
end as a notebook, you have to use the various Notebook* functions.  For
example, the five expression indicated below, when evaluated, will:

(1) create a new, open blank notebook and shift the focus to that

(2) after you go back to your original notebook in which you evaluated
that first expression, write into the new notebook the input cell

-- NOT the result of evaluating that expression;

(3) write into the new notebok cell the output that results from
evaluating the expression Expand[(a+b)^3];

(4) save the new notebook as a file; and

(5) close the newly-saved notebook.

Here are the expressions.  Expressions (2) and (3) were obtained by
actually entering Expand[(a+b)^3] in an input cell in the work notebook
(not the one being created) and evaluating it; then the CELL EXRPESSIONS
for the input and output cells were obtained by using the menu command
Format > Show Expression (or, on the Mac, the equivalent SHIFT-COMMAND-E
shortcut key) for each of those two cells to display them in their cell
expressions; finally, those expressions were copied and pasted into the
NotebookWrite cells.

There are fancier -- and probably simpler -- ways to do this, but the
steps I'm showing are for the purpose of showing what's really going on.

Here are the expressions:

mynb = NotebookCreate[]

NotebookWrite[mynb, {Cell[
      BoxData[RowBox[{"Expand", "[",
            RowBox[{RowBox[{"(", RowBox[{"a", "+", "b"}], ")"}], "^",
            "]"}]], "Input"]}]

NotebookWrite[mynb, {Cell[
      BoxData[RowBox[{SuperscriptBox["a", "3"], "+",
            RowBox[{"3", " ", SuperscriptBox["a", "2"], " ", "b"}], "+",
            RowBox[{"3", " ", "a", " ", SuperscriptBox["b", "2"]}], "+",
            SuperscriptBox["b", "3"]}]], "Output"]}]

NotebookSave[mynb, "sample.nb"]

James Fuite and Tania Nordli wrote:
> Dear Advanced Mathematica Users,
>      I am not able to use the function NotebookOpen in Version 3. on
> MacOS 8.1, and after modest investigations, I have to turn to you for
> advice.  What follows is an example.
> Expand[(a+b)^3] >> "sample.nb"
> NotebookOpen["sample.nb"]
>     $Failed
> !!sample.nb
>    a^3 + 3*a^2*b + 3*a*b^2 +b^3
> So I can look at the file, just not open it.  Yet, further probes
> indicate, at least to me, that everything is in order.
> Directory[]
>    Macintosh HD:Mathematica 3.0 Files
> MemberQ[FileNames[],"sample.nb"]
>    True
> ToFileName /@ (NotebookPath /. Options[$FrontEnd, NotebookPath])
>    {Macintosh HD:System Folder:
> Preferences:Mathematica:3.0:FrondEnd:Palettes:,
>    etc.,
>     :$HomeDirectory:, :$TopDirectory:}
> $TopDirectory
>    Macintosh HD:Mathematica 3.0 Files
> It seems to me that the notebook "sample.nb" should be found and
> opened.  Suggestions?
>   Sincerely,
>   James J. Fuite.

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.       phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Univ. of Massachusetts                     413 545-2859 (W)
Amherst, MA 01003-4515