Visualization of Intersections

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22367] Visualization of Intersections
  • From: Chris Tiee <choni at my-deja.com>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 22:04:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I've been investigating plots of surfaces in space, and I've
encountered the classic problem of finding the volume between two
perpendicularly intersecting circular cylinders of the same radius (and
I will be working on the case for three cylinders as well). The
resulting volumes are very difficult to visualize. I searched for it on
the web, and have seen how they look, and some even had instructions on
how to do it in another system.

With Mathematica, I have been able to examine the intersections (using
ContourPlot3D[], drawing the contours at 1), but I don't know how to to
customize the range of plotting so it shows the exact volume of
intersection, only cylinders with straight edges.

I have already solved both of the problems, but how would I be able to
examine intersections of surfaces in general, with Mathematica?

thanks in advance,

Chris

please send any email replies to choni at ucla.edu

Chris Tiee "Choni" | Primary email: choni at ucla.edu
Alternate emails: choni at cyberjunkie.com, ch0ni at hotmail.com

--
Chris Tiee "Choni" | Primary email: choni at
home.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.