Re: Display Bug
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg22387] Re: Display Bug
- From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
- Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:55:27 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: "Wolfram Research, Inc."
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
In article <89a5bn$9gt at smc.vnet.net>, me at talmanl1.mscd.edu writes: > That the defect is in the Display operator is evident from two circumstances: > > 1.) The same distortion is evident in the GIF if we view it using some > piece of software other than Mathematica > > 2.) Version 4.0's Export operator does not exhibit this behavior. > > When I informed WRI of this anomaly, their response was that, indeed, > "Export" is the preferred manner of exporting graphics. The reason for the difference in behavior is that for Display, the external program psrender is used to render the Mathematica PostScript version of the graphic. In the case of Export (when a front end is present, the kernel requests a bitmap from the front end based on what the front end's PostScript interpreter produces. -- P.J. Hinton Mathematica Programming Group paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram Research, Inc. Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are those of the author alone.