Re: ParametricPlot3D: specific colour AND shading

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21498] Re: ParametricPlot3D: specific colour AND shading
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 08:35:42 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Julio:
(apologies for the delay)
Two suggestions,

1) Use white light on  objects colored with the SurfaceColor[ color
directive]

<< Graphics`Shapes`

gr1 = Show[Graphics3D[{EdgeForm[], SurfaceColor[Hue[0]], Sphere[1, 25, 25],
          SurfaceColor[Hue[.8]],
          Cylinder[.5, 1.5, 25]}],
      LightSources -> {{{1, 0, 1}, GrayLevel[1]}},
      AmbientLight -> GrayLevel[.1] ];

2) Using the option PolygonIntersections -> False we can combine any number
of Graphics3D images whether obtained with Lighting -> True or with
Lighting ->False
(I am grateful to to Hartmut Wolf for showing me this use of the option)

The crucial fact is that for any Graphics 3D object gr,
 Show[gr]]
looks the same as
 Show[Show[gr, PolynomialIntersections->False], Lighting->False]]
*except that* all options (FaceGrids, ViewPoint ..) are lost.

gr2 = Show[Graphics3D[{EdgeForm[], SurfaceColor[Hue[0]], Sphere[1, 25, 25]},
        LightSources -> {{{1, 0, 1}, GrayLevel[1]}},
        AmbientLight -> GrayLevel[.1] ,
        FaceGrids -> {{-1, 0, 0}, {0, 1, 0}}]];

Take a snapshot that will look like this with Lighting ->False.
Show does not give a  display at this stage -it simply outputs a modified
object.

gr3 = Show[gr2, PolygonIntersections -> False];

but (after deleting warning messages)

gr4 = Show[gr3, Lighting -> False];

Notice that the face grids have been lost.

Here is a carpet shown with Lighting -> False

gr5 = ParametricPlot3D[{x, y, -1, {EdgeForm[], Hue[Random[], .6, 1]}},
      {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2},
      Lighting -> False];

Put the ball on the carpet, and add the options of gr2.

Show[gr4, gr5, Options[gr2]];

Allan
Allan Hayes
Mathematica Training and Consulting