Re: step fn of sin

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21596] Re: step fn of sin
  • From: "Kevin J. McCann" <kevinmccann at home.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 22:43:45 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Interesting.  A plot of the following gives the result that I think you
want.  Not really antisymmetric, but I understand what you meant.

Delta = 0.001;
G[y_ ] :=
 Sign[y]* Delta*Plus @@ Table[
     theta[Sin[x]],
     {x, 0, y, Sign[y]*Delta}]
G[0]=0;

What is interesting is Mathematica's result.  Your F[-5] gives zero, but a plot of
the integrand shows that it should be (pi-5).  I am surprised that Mathematica
doesn't just regurgitate the integral, since there is no easy analytic
solution to the integral.  If I had the initiative, I could probably kluge
up an answer with Mod's, etc., but ...

Kevin

news:85s1ek$ajh at smc.vnet.net...