Re: Help! Mathematica on my 500MHz outperforms my GHz machine!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21686] Re: Help! Mathematica on my 500MHz outperforms my GHz machine!
  • From: Jacek Pliszka <pliszka at fuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 02:52:43 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 18 Jan 2000 terryis at my-deja.com wrote:

> Mathematica. After installation and setup I ran a couple of simulations
> only to discover that it's performing at about the same level as my
> 500MHz Pentium III!! Can anyone explain to me why this is the case?
>
> Additional configuration information:
>
> Pentium III vs. AMD Athlon (K7 overclocked)
> 500MHz vs. 1000MHz
> 128MB RAM vs. 128MB RAM
> 100MHz Front Side Bus vs. 200MHz system interface

Athlons have 100MHz bus. Some PIII's have 133MHz bus.
Thus if your simulation is memory intensive PIII 500MHz
can be faster than Athlon 1GHz.

But I am using both PIII's and Athlons and for me
Athlons are 30% faster at the same clock speed.

I would rather blame some of your hardware.
Maybe you have some sophisticated animations?

My hints:
1. think carefully of your hardware
2. run tests from:
   http://fampm201.tu-graz.ac.at/karl/mma.html

I did it for Mathematica 3 and Athlon 500MHz had 6.8 while
Celeron 580MHz (o'c 466) had 6.1.

Regards,

Jacek