Re: Fast Fourier Transforms

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg21684] Re: Fast Fourier Transforms
  • From: "Mariusz Jankowski" <mjkcc at>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 02:52:40 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Randy was mostly correct, but omitted to mention that the complex Fourier
domain has complex conjugate symmetry. Only the first N/2 (N even) Fourier
coefficients of a real signal are unique. The remaining are "negative"
frequency coefficients (you probably don't need to understand this). So, for
any real signal x, do the following

Drop[Fourier[x], -Length[x]/2]

or more commonly,

Drop[Abs[Fourier[x]], -Length[x]/2]

since most of the time we are interested in the magnitude of the Fourier
coefficients, only.

The remaining N/2 coefficients are organized as follows {position, frequency
in Hertz}:

where T is the time interval between samples. 1/T is the so-called sampling

If you need more details consult any electrical engineering textbook that
has a discussion of the discrete Fourier transform (DFT).

Hope this helps,

Mariusz Jankowski
University of Southern Maine
mjkcc at