Re: Cursor bug in mathematica 3

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21764] Re: Cursor bug in mathematica 3
  • From: sidles at u.washington.edu (John A. Sidles)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:56:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <86g17h$heg at smc.vnet.net>,
Atul Sharma <atulksharma at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I had the same problem when I upgraded to System 8.1. The Appearance
>Extension can be updated with a fix from Wolfram. This took care of the
>problem, but it sounds as if you may be out of luck if you're using OS 8.5+
>(short of restarting the session, which is effective but annoying).
>
>The faq and fix are described:
>
>If you're using Mathematica under MacOS 8.0 (or later) and the fonts aren't
>appearing correctly (i.e. characters overlap or spaces disappear), you might
>be running into a MacOS 8.0-specific bug. Please see the following web page
>for more information. ...This patch is not compatible with MacOS 8.5 and
>8.6. We are continuing to work on a solution for these problems under that
>version of MacOS.
>
>http://support.wolfram.com/Systems/Macintosh/FE/AppearancePatch.html

Hey!  To my certain knowledge, you Wolfram guys have been "continuing
to work on a solution" to this problem for more than a year ... with
no solution delivered yet.

Don't you think it's reasonable for us to want a progress report?

   (1) Why is the fix taking so long?
   (2) When will a fix be released?

And if Wolfram Inc. is *not* working on a fix, well ... please show
us the courtesy of announcing it on your support web page.

This one bug -- and its failure to be fixed in a timely manner --
has caused several of my colleagues at the UW to switch to another system.
Unlike me, these faculty members didn't care enough to pester the
administrators at Wolfram to do a better job.

The sad result is that I am pretty sure that I am the last remaining
Mathematica-using professor in the Mechanical Engineering Department.

A loyal but often-frustrated Mathematica fan ... John Sidles