Problem with antiderivtive of ArcSec

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24362] Problem with antiderivtive of ArcSec
  • From: heathw at in-tch.com
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 04:53:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,
I am trying to integrate the following function:
1/(x*Sqrt[x^2-1])
The solution should be simply:
ArcSec[x]
Mathmatica gives:
-ArcTan[1/Sqrt[x^2-1]]
Why won't Mathematica give me the 'textbook' answer?
It seems that mathematica gives a solution in terms of ArcTan to any
equation like the one I listed.
Thanks,
Heath