Re: Division still cost more than multiplication?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg24390] Re: Division still cost more than multiplication?
  • From: Richard Fateman <fateman at cs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:13:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I don't know why you are particularly optimizing the time for a
numeric calculation in Mathematica, since if you were concerned
about the time, you should be using something like Fortran.

In high-end computer systems, the time to do a multiply or
a divide is essentially irrelevant, since the time to get the
data from memory and back to memory is much greater.  Some systems
may several arithmetic units and are quite happy to do several
operations (adds, multiplies, divides, square roots) at the same
time.

The observation regarding Mathematica is undoubtedly unrelated to the
time taken to do a floating-point division.  It is probably related to
associated
processing, maybe having to do with simplification, or error checking
(checking for division by zero, perhaps?)
RJF